SHSM stands for the Specialist High Skills Major; ICT is the sub section of the program that we run. ICT stands for Information Communication Technology. This covers digital animation, film editing, programming or computer engineering.
BCSS also has a SHSM in Construction. If you want more information about that program, see Mr. Paterson in the Wood Shop and he will be able to give you more information.
What are the benefits of SHSM?
- Graduate with a special red seal on your diploma.
- Training in at least 6 certifications for free. CPR and First Aid are two mandatory trainings.
- Take co-op in your field. This gives students relevant work experience, helping to build their resume.
- Take four courses in the technology field. This gives students a solid preparation for the workforce, college or university.
- Visit universities and colleges to see what they are like to prepare them for post-secondary education.
- Listen to industry guest speakers.
Why is ICT an important field?
- Technology fields expect huge growth in the coming years, however, the number of students enrolling in this field is low.
- Our SHSM encourages students to learn more about a growth area in the economy, improving their future career prospects.
What Ceritifications Have you offered in the past?
- First 3 are mandatory, A total of 6 are required. All are free.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Level C – includes automated external defibrillation (AED)
- Standard First Aid
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) – generic (i.e., not Past site-specific) instruction
- Electronics at Sherdian College
- Counterfeit Detection with Royal Canadian Mint
- Ergonomics at Peel District School Board SHSM Conference
- Customer Service at Cedar Glen, YMCA
- Leadership with the Beanstalk Foundation
- Sector-partnered experiences with Microsoft and Apple
- Recording Equipment at Global TV
- Advanced training in a technique (Virtual Reality) with Code Mobile
- Specialized skills training program/Competition at University of Waterloo CCC and ECOO Team Programming Competition
Examples of Past Field Trips
- All are free - that includes transport and entrance fees.
- Sheridan College, Brampton
- iDapt Bioengineering Lab, University Health Network, Toronto
- University of Waterloo CS4UDay, Waterloo
- Microsoft, Mississauga
- Shopping Channel, Brampton
- Global TV, Brampton
- Cedar Glen, Schomberg
The application form can be found here - all of the files are the same, only one needs to be submitted:
- PDF - best for viewing on-line. Can be printed and filled out with a pen.
- Word - an editable Word document. Can type in answers and save a copy.
- Editable PDF - allows digital signatures; allows typing. To save results, use Adobe Reader.
Students in grade 10 or grade 11 can apply. They should consult their guidance councillor to verify that they are able to apply for the program. If anyone has additional questions, stop by room 129 or email Ms. Gorski. She'd be happy to answer your questions.
Please drop off to the Tech office mail box or room 129 (or email the completed version to Ms. Gorski)
Scheduling Courses in SHSM
Please make an appointment to see your guidance counsellor. Before you go to your appointment, you can consider some of the things in this video.
Again, it is important that your verify your choices in an appointment with your counsellor.
Links to Other Resources